All Posts For: Community

Muskegon Community College

MCC’s Progress: New Stories to Share

Posted by on 04.06.16 in College Experience, Community, Construction Projects, Students, Uncategorized

Muskegon Community College is truly on the move.  The College has made good on its promise to upgrade its facilities by opening a $9.6 million Life Sciences Center and Renovation in Fall 2015 and will break ground on the $17 million MCC Downtown Center – the largest single investment in Downtown Muskegon since 2000. Our […]

Read More

Learn at a Nationally Recognized Leader College

Posted by on 09.22.15 in College Experience, Community, Education, Uncategorized

Muskegon Community College has been awarded the designation of Leader College from Achieving the Dream, a nationally-respected nonprofit dedicated to helping more community college students, particularly low-income students and students of color, stay in school and earn a college certificate or degree.  We are gratified to learn that Muskegon Community College has been named an Achieving […]

Read More

The Community College as Entrepreneurial Catalyst

Posted by on 04.08.15 in Community, General, Uncategorized, Vision

I was recently asked by the journal Perspectives: Community College Leadership for the 21st Century to draft a paper focusing on community college entrepreneurship.  The editors were impressed with the many impacts MCC has on its students and community and felt that our story needed to be shared among a broader audience, including college and […]

Read More

President’s America’s College Promise Proposal

Posted by on 01.14.15 in Community, Education, Uncategorized

Welcome students, faculty, staff, and the community to Winter Semester 2015.  I’m hopeful your holiday season went well and am confident the upcoming semester will bring good things. Earlier this week, President Obama formally unveiled his “America’s College Promise” proposal supporting community colleges.  The Promise is modeled after programs in several states, particularly Tennessee, and is […]

Read More

Veterans Day 2014

Posted by on 11.19.14 in Community, Uncategorized

Good afternoon MCC Community: The College recently recognized the contributions of the United States Armed Forces during our Veterans Day ceremony on November 11. Approximately 150 community members attended, including service veterans and active duty military. It was particularly gratifying to see a the strong representation of World War II veterans, including six of whom […]

Read More

Welcome Back – Fall 2014

Posted by on 08.21.14 in Community, Students, Uncategorized

Students, Faculty, Staff, and Community: On behalf of the Administration and Board of Trustees of Muskegon Community College, I am pleased and honored to welcome you to MCC this fall semester.  MCC is a College where students succeed, faculty fuel their passion and employers find the best talent that higher education has to offer.  The […]

Read More

Joint Sustainability Council

Posted by on 05.27.14 in Community, Construction Projects, Social Responsibility, Uncategorized

In 1976 as an undergraduate student at Michigan State University, I drafted a paper on the topic of solar photovoltaics – now known as solar energy production.  Back then, we all dreamed that every home in the U.S. would or could be powered by a renewable energy source, such as geothermal, solar, or wind.  We […]

Read More

The Role and Future of Community Colleges

Posted by on 01.09.14 in Community

Community colleges, in fulfilling their missions, are much more closely connected to the communities they serve than are other higher education institutions. As intellectual, cultural and economic cornerstones, community colleges provide students of all ages with a personalized academic experience and a responsive and thorough curriculum to prepare them for jobs in today’s market. Concurrently, […]

Read More

Welcome Back Students – MCC Summer Highlights

Posted by on 09.11.13 in College Experience, Community, General, Students

Hello Colleagues, Students, and Community: For returning colleagues and students, Welcome Back! For new colleagues and students, welcome to a wonderful institution of higher education! I am very much looking forward to the launch of another successful academic year and will share my thoughts on the past summer and upcoming activities this fall semester. The Big News: […]

Read More